Orzo pasta is my new poor man’s pasta. One box can last me at least four different meals, and at a buck per box, well it fits my Velveeta lifestyle just fine!
Not that I have any qualms with Velveeta. He’s like my side ho.
Heavy Cream and Brown Sugar will always be my primaries, for the record.
So back to Orzo. I have decided that 2014 is the year of Orzo. How amazing is this little morsel of carb-y goodness? It can be boiled down in chicken stock, garlic, and salt, turned into a starchy, creamy goodness, and then bathed in olive oil and parmesan until it felt all happy inside. You can do a meet and greet with pork tenderloin, sage, and pancetta for a rustic spin. (I just made that one up but I’m totally gonna do it now.) Orzo even works well in soup!
Or…you can do what I did and whip up a batch of pasta salad!
And like I said before, one box renders a crapton of pasta, so you could easily make this for a company gathering, a pot luck, or even a sick friend.
I made it for a Sunday night dinner, then sent the leftovers with the bff so that she could fatten up her coworkers while they sung my praises with mouths full of chewy pasta.
One day, I will rule the world. But that can wait.
This pasta salad is just about the easiest thing you’ll ever make. It combines my favorite flavors – tart cherry tomatoes, creamy chickpeas, salty feta, and an oil and vinegar dressing with just enough oomph to set the whole thing in motion. Add a bit of lemon zest to brighten up the flavors, and SHAZAM!
Okay, let’s get to the recipe so that you can all amaze your friends with your talents.
- 1¾ cup Orzo Pasta (uncooked)
- 1 can Chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 1 small can Sliced Black Olives
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes - Halved
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- ¼ cup Chopped Parsley
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Finely Minced Garlic
- ¼ cup Finely Chopped Vidalia Onion
- Zest and Juice of one Lemon
- Boil orzo pasta in salty water. Drain and remove to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, and parsley. Whisk until well combined. (If you have a food processor, give it good go.)
- Add vinaigrette to the pasta, along with chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, olives, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- With a large wooden spoon, mix together until well-combined. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving.