Oh me, oh my. I’ve really done it this time.
Or, at least Pinterest has done it. I saw a few random pins this week and got the idea to make this Bacon Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese tonight by putting them all together.
I can only describe this casserole in one word – epic.
Not only did we use my favorite ingredient – Velveeta – to make it, but we added oodles of bacon and ground beef to give this dish a super smoky flavor.
It tastes just like a juicy bacon cheeseburger. Well, a juicy bacon cheeseburger that’s covered in drippy gooey mac and cheese.
Okay…enough chit chat. Let’s get on with the recipe.
- 1 box Medium Shells Pasta
- 5 Slices Bacon, Chopped
- ½ lb. Ground Beef
- 2 cups Chopped Velveeta
- ½ cup + ¼ cup Heavy Cream, Divided
- 2 cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, Divided
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Boil pasta in a large stockpot with liberally salty water. Meanwhile, chop and fry the bacon over medium heat in a skillet. When the bacon is almost all crispy, crumble the ground beef over the bacon and fry it until cooked through. There's no need to season the ground beef, because it's being fried in the bacon.
- Drain the pasta and pour it back into the stock pot. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon and ground beef to the pot. Add the Velveeta and ½ cup heavy cream. Use a large wooden spoon to mix it all together until the cheese is mostly incorporated.
- Pour half the pasta into a casserole dish. Top with 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Pour remaining half of the pasta into the dish. Top with remaining cheese. Pour ¼ cup heavy cream over the entire dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.